Discord User#: Cuddles#1356

RP Name: Tony Pepperoni

Country/Time Zone: Australia/AEST

Do you have a working Microphone?: Yes

What is your gametime?: 4w 1d 14h

image_2022-08-29_171419106.thumb.png.007049a20899279a91776cdbb38cea5d.png

How many warnings do you have?: None

image_2022-08-29_122328032.thumb.png.bca977f808e5ff1e04109e0d70a28fb4.png

How many Softbans/Blacklists do you have?: None (See Above)

Do you have any previous or current staff experience?:

I have a good amount of experience across a few Garry’s Mod DarkRP servers, along with various other games and platforms. In addition to the servers listed below, I was also a Senior Moderator for Orbital.

Wisp's Discord (Discord Server) - 34.2k Members - Administrator - My main role on this server (Aside from the general responsibilities such as chat moderation and handling enquiries) was to ensure that all aspects of the server were in compliance with the Discord Terms of Service as the server’s owner was a content creator who was adamant about keeping his Partner status.

MCArcade (Discord Server) - 8.8k Members - Community Manager - Moderation of all chats and voice channels, organising and hosting events/game nights, handling reports and enquiries, reviewing staff applications and interviewing trials.

ASAP Gaming (Garry's Mod DarkRP Server) - Average Player Count of 80, 120 Peak - Admin - It is on this server that I was introduced to taking sits and handling complications between players. I was also tasked with organising and running events, as well as training trial staff members.

Why do you believe that you deserve this staffing position?: As I hope my application reflects, I believe that I am deserving of this position as I’m an active, long-time member of the Orbital community with a surplus of experience in moderation, a vast knowledge of the rules and an understanding of the role that I believe not many others possess. However, before I elaborate, I want to address what I consider to be my biggest shortcoming in relation to this application. The community I’ve recently re-joined is not the same one I had left, and few faces are familiar (but the new people are very cool!). Although it originally was not my intention, I found myself wanting to come back to the staff team almost immediately after I started playing again. I knew that things would be different, and in all honesty I didn’t expect to have a community as good as the one I had left to come back to. My expectations were almost immediately subverted, and once I saw how great Orbital remained my passion to serve this community became as strong now as it ever was. However, I wanted to take the time to become acquainted with those I hadn’t met in the past before I felt like I was ready to be considered a serious applicant. I’d like to think that I’ve done a fairly good job thus far, but I know that I could’ve done better had I waited a little bit longer to submit this application. I feel as though I have interacted with most of the active players and I’ve made a lot of new friends, but it would be wishful thinking to say that I have fully displayed my personality and competence as a potential staff member. If I were in your position, I’m not 100% sure that I could confidently make a judgement on my character. That said, I hope that my history with moderation in this community and my subsequent good standing and credibility with the members of my old team is able to vouch for me to some extent. Continuing down that line of thought, I believe that my history as a staff member on this server puts me in a fairly unique position as you usually wouldn’t write a second application after their first was accepted. When it comes to moderation, I think that most people who are on the outside looking in believe that there is something to gain by being a member of staff. Don’t get me wrong, I gained a lot from becoming a staff member, but that mostly erred on the side of a sense of fulfilment as I was able to serve a community that had done so much for me, as well as a team of people who I got the privilege of befriending and whom I eventually considered a second family. That’s not the gain people expect though, instead they likely refer to the permissions. The insight that I’ve been granted from coming in and out of the staff team is that when you’re volunteering for what I consider to be the right reasons, the acquisition of permissions isn’t a gain at all, but instead a sacrifice. Whilst I’m incredibly grateful for what the role gave me, it’s a far more accurate statement to say that there’s a great deal of loss when it comes to moderation. Obviously there is the loss of actual playtime as a large portion of your time on the server is spent serving the community, but there’s also a shift in the dynamic between you and the rest of the server when people who you once interacted with as a player begin to harbour resentment towards you after a couple of unfavourable sits you handle against them. You also can’t really be anyone but yourself. I’ve always loved being Tony Pepperoni, and he’s a lot of the reason that Garry’s Mod is so special to me because there are very few other games where you can be accepted as that outlandish alter ego without a second thought. That being said, I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to handle a sit with a goofy New York accent, but it doesn’t exactly aid in trying to stop two 8 year old's from yelling slurs at each other. So I gradually stopped being Tony Pepperoni, at least somewhat. It’s the duality of DarkRP - When I applied for staff, I was doing so to give others the great experience that was given to me, but in order to do that I lost the experience for myself. That might sound like an easy trade for someone who cares only about being in a position of power and not about the community in which that power is held, but that isn’t me, and after a lot of reflection I don’t think it’s possible to have the best of both worlds. I didn’t know that when I was first inaugurated into the Orbital staff team, however knowing it now, I am more than willing to make that sacrifice in order to serve this community, because it is a community that has nurtured some of my fondest memories to date, and it’s a community that I’m always going to respect. It might sound hard to believe that’s a genuine statement, especially when in a situation like this a lot of people would make up anything to sound like a good candidate for staff, but every word is true. I’ve played this game for thousands of hours over the past 8 years and I can confidently say that the Orbital community is one of the only communities left that comes even close to what you’d find during GMod’s peak. I want to do all that I can to preserve it and enable it to thrive. Speaking truthfully, the result of this application isn’t going to change my commitment to doing that because at the end of the day, you don’t need a special role to be a good person and help others (but the special role definitely helps). All this to say, my priorities are straight. I am qualified for this position, but more importantly I know the distinction between a good moderator and a good server ambassador. My intentions are to serve the community, not serve myself. I'm not the type of person to demand respect or cut corners for a high ticket count, instead I will try my best to be an empathetic, respectful team player who strives to contribute to a positive experience for everyone. I know that this community is only possible through its members, and their in-game experience and safety will always come first.

Explain your ability to work as a team (Using examples): I’ve been lucky enough to have a lot of experience working with others, and team environments are something I feel that I thrive in. There’s always an emphasis on teamwork when it comes to the moderation of online communities, and therefore I have become very comfortable with the idea that nothing I do as a staff member is a solo venture. It is imperative for the sake of treating people fairly and creating the right environment that things such as verbal warnings, punishments and rule changes are made apparent and discussed when necessary. Another more unique instance of when I worked with a team of people was in managing an Overwatch Open Division team. This role had a lot of moving parts, including booking 2 scrims and a VOD review each week, as well as communicating daily with my team about future tournaments, roster changes and events. This role required me to talk to a wide variety of people - my team, substitute players, other managers to book scrims, tournament organisers, etc. and from this experience I became far more organised and developed my communication skills as it was important that I maintained a good reputation for myself as a manager and for my team as their "ambassador" so to speak. To give a more recent and less cringe example (I promise I touch grass), at the start of 2022 I began my course in Screen Media at university. This course consists largely of group work, and often there are a lot of roles that people will need occupy. If people do not fulfil the responsibilities that come with their role within the team, everyone suffers as a result, and as someone who has often had to contribute more than what should’ve been required of them, I know the importance of pulling my own weight when working in a team. Due to tight deadlines and the copious amount of scheduling required to meet at locations and borrow equipment, a lot of communication and follow through is key especially when your actions affect not only yourself but the people in your team who rely on you.

What qualities will you bring to the staff team?:

Professional and Organised - When moderating a DarkRP server in the past, it was a requirement that every punishment be logged in a discord channel with information such as Steam ID, Warn Reason and Proof. The constant repetition of this punishment logging has caused me to become very organised and maintain a high standard, and through learning this process I gained an understanding of the importance of this practice and why it is imperative when maintaining an environment where the rules are respected and the punishment fits the crime.

Ability to keep a level head - As I have experience moderating larger communities, as well as DarkRP servers with a very high player count, I’ve been exposed to many situations where things have escalated into a chaotic situation, as well as the stress of having multiple tickets pile up and there are no other staff members though. As a result, I am able to stay calm under pressure and I can guarantee that in a stressful situation I will not make radical decisions that reflect poorly on the server. I’ve been playing Garry’s Mod for a little over 8 years and in that time have been exposed to almost every infraction of the rules imaginable. This experience allows me to handle things the right way no matter the circumstance.

Receptive to feedback - Whilst I do have a lot of experience with DarkRP moderation and moderation in general, there will come times when I will make mistakes. I can confidently say that I am familiar enough with the rules and have been doing this sort of thing for long enough that I will never make an irredeemable mistake, but in my experience there are always things that can be improved on as a member of staff. I embrace this truth, and am very open to the idea of receiving criticism. If given the chance to be on the staff team I will be committed to constantly improving my ability to serve the community.

Maturity - If you’ve met me in game, you’ll know that I enjoy joking around and don’t take myself too seriously. That being said, I recognise that the behaviour of staff members directly reflects the credibility of the server, and therefore I am very aware of the line and can confidently promise that I will never cross it. I also recognise that there are times where I need to be serious and I believe that I have become quite good at determining what the situation calls for.

Availability - My current schedule means that I am often able to play during times when there are usually fewer staff members on (during the day on weekdays, etc.). This means that I can help to ensure that the server is being moderated during all hours of the day and people can have a good experience regardless of what time they choose to play. I also respect the time of others and aim to be organised and punctual when it comes to staff meetings or other events.

Do you agree not to abuse or misuse the powers given to moderate the server?: Yes

Do you agree that your powers will be stripped completely if misused?: Yes

Do you agree to follow the Staff Expectations once given?: Yes

Thanks for taking the time to read my application. Trust me, I’m fully aware that bigger application doesn’t equal better application, but I felt the things I wrote (albeit slightly unconcise) were relevant and important. I tried to be fairly professional as I think it’s important for this type of thing, but I hope it didn’t sound too much like I have a stick up my ass. There’s a lot to be said about the state of moderation in DarkRP servers and how it affects the experience. Rules are a very important factor in what makes this game work so well, but I think that committing to “over moderating” is also very harmful to the experience, so I hope that my application didn’t make me sound like a robot. Also, I’d like to make it clear that I didn’t intend to bring up my history moderating Orbital as a means to gain an easy entry back into the team. Whilst I do believe the fact that I’ve proven my ability to be a competent member of the staff previously is an indication that I’m capable of doing it again, I do not believe that it is a valid reason to be put in the same position. I would understand if anyone had doubts about having me become a staff member as I am still fairly novice in this “new age” of Orbital, and if I acted prematurely by writing this let me know and I’ll leave it until I’ve proven myself as competent and someone who is the right fit for the role.

GameTime.thumb.PNG.84e6085c3290d53960743736b4975eda.PNG

Hey Tony!

First off let me just say welcome back, we've missed you heaps and it's great to see you back and playing.

You have lots of previous experience moderating both Discord and GMOD servers which is great to see, not to mention you are previous staff and I have experience with you first hand! You are a nice respectful player and hold a special place in the community, you interact with players well and manage to keep yourself calm in sits which is a great trait to have as a staff member.

I would like to say your activity ingame is great however your forum and Discord activity is poor.

I'll be leaving it at that and giving you a +1 for your application.

Good luck tony!

+1

Hi Tony, I am probably biased with this +1 but I do believe you'd make a great staff member.

You're very friendly and civil, you RP very well and you understand server rules. I'm likely one of the new people you've met recently and I'm very glad you're enjoying your return here. It was wise of you to hold off on an immediate reapplication to the staff team and I am glad to have had some great RP situations with you.

You pointed out the fact that you may lose your attunement to RP as Tony Pepperoni due to staff responsibilities and have mentioned you are willing to accept this trade off. Despite this, I do hope that you can retain your persona as you've added a lot of value to multiple RP scenarios in your short time since your return. Understandably, once you are staff, as you mentioned, priority will always lie on the maintenance of the server standard rather than your personal RP experiences.

I believe your intentions for the application are good and that you are mature enough to take on responsibilities as staff. I hope that you succeed and looking forward to working with you :)

+1

Tony is a long time player. He has a great understanding of the rules, which is shown by his outstanding playtime and having no warnings. He already has tons of prior experience with staffing and used to be a staff here on orbital. He has always been player that stood out in the community to me. Good Luck!!!!!!!!