John Thomas Ban Appeal

SteamID: https://steamcommunity.com/id/psoz

In-game name: John Thomas

Time and date of ban (Use timezone): 2:24 pm Thursday, 1 July 2021 (AEST)

Name of the Staff Member that banned you: Roberto

Further details:

Just a preface, myself and my friend have just started on this server and have been enjoying ourselves since last night even with the server-lag, we very much wanted to stick around and play for longer but alas this situation has forced us to reconsider playing gmod entirely.

Banned for MRDM, my apologies for this act, it was not my intent. Tried to enter PD to carry out a HIT, I was shot at by Police Officer (whom should attempt to taze me first), records do show that I was the one to "instigate" the fights BUT this is a a grey area due to the variance of player to player aim accuracy, I have said and do stand by my statement that I was fired upon first. As I retaliated fire (as I did not wish to die and lose my gear) several other individual decided to just RUN into the PD and were caught into the cross-fire (I was using an XM shotgun which is quite powerful, if I do return to the server I plan to avoid this weapon unless defending my base). I understand that when rules are broken there needs to be repercussions otherwise everyone will break the rules whenever it suits them, regardless I feel a whole week is unnecessary and will just lead me to either find a new server or an entirely new game.

Any evidence you can provide: n/a

Have you become familiar with the rules?: I am now aware that even though the Mayor has a Hit on him, I cannot raid/infiltrate the PD in order to assassinate him/her/them/they.

Edited by psozpaul

Hey man,

During the sit, you did seem sincerely apologetic about what you did, and I can see that here too. From what I saw in the logs (attached) you killed a total of 5 people and shot 1 more (Bob Dudson, although you had already killed him so that is NLR on his behalf), you were not raiding, none of the kills were hits and you were the instigator in all five killings. Because of this, and no prior warnings, I followed protocol and issued a 1-week ban.

Furthermore, on later inspection, I noticed you also had died twice to police officers who were *probably* at PD (unconfirmed - will check when next online). If this is the case, it would imply you broke NLR 2 times as well.

EDIT: You killed two officers in the PD who instigated the fights. These two killings were justified as you were not the instigator, HOWEVER, the other five killings that followed were unjust, as most if not all of them were not even PD, and this is why you were punished.

Regardless, I believe the ban is valid and is fair.

20210701162156_1.thumb.jpg.09c52a7ca71de873ac14379393d65ee5.jpg20210701162154_1.thumb.jpg.75bb6f5177e429afd860ea72db8135db.jpg20210701162242_1.thumb.jpg.a3bd2b033e38eb0e02ac8d3d5fd998a0.jpg

Edited by Roberto

I understand that you have rules to follow and logs to look back on, again I apologize for the unauthorized raid, but I cannot be held responsible for people flowing through a singular doorway/hall whilst gunfire is being discharged.

"the other five killings that followed were unjust, as most if not all of them were not even PD, and this is why you were punished" are you able to provide screenshots where this occurred? When we had our initial conversation this was not brought up and the other player you had with you did not indicate that this occurred outside of PD. As role-playing a hit man, I did follow through with 3 to 4 hits prior and after this event occurred, there is one instance that I am not 100% sure on, I thought the Terrorist in the server had a hit but I made a mistake I think, I did apologize and believe no complaint was made.

The purpose of the appeal is a last ditch effort to see if I am going to be able to play on this server or have to move along another video game. I also hope that the administrators of this server will view and reflect upon this ban and alter the harshness of their actions towards certain rule-breaking.

To summarize, this is a first-instance of "RDMING", without intent, although no evidence can be produced on my behalf proving I had no intent of "RDMING", only my word.

Regards,

John Thomas

Edited by psozpaul

If higher-ups believe that this is clutter then by all means delete my response. I know that I was not involved with the ban but I would still like to make a detailed comment to help psozpaul understand what it looks like for staff and what he did wrong. Firstly I would like to say that it is ok for a helper to be dishing out weekly bans, this is because we have punishment guidelines that we all have to follow when punishing a player, in your case a weekly ban. Roberto was only following these guidelines.

After looking at your ban I believe that Roberto had every right to ban you, I would have done the same thing. You mention that it was crossfire When crossfire happens you need to advertise it doing /ad Crossfire so that everyone knows that you did not mean to kill them but instead they were caught up in the crossfire. You say that you were shot at by a police officer instead of being tazed, if your hit was on an Officer or the mayor and you shot then you have started active combat (Meaning all officers can shoot you) then the officer shooting at you is valid. If this was not the case and he started shooting at you, you should have made a staff ticket and let us handle it.

I hope this helps you.

If higher-ups believe that this is clutter then by all means delete my response. I know that I was not involved with the ban but I would still like to make a detailed comment to help psozpaul understand what it looks like for staff and what he did wrong. Firstly I would like to say that it is ok for a helper to be dishing out weekly bans, this is because we have punishment guidelines that we all have to follow when punishing a player, in your case a weekly ban. Roberto was only following these guidelines.

After looking at your ban I believe that Roberto had every right to ban you, I would have done the same thing. You mention that it was crossfire When crossfire happens you need to advertise it doing /ad Crossfire so that everyone knows that you did not mean to kill them but instead they were caught up in the crossfire. You say that you were shot at by a police officer instead of being tazed, if your hit was on an Officer or the mayor and you shot then you have started active combat (Meaning all officers can shoot you) then the officer shooting at you is valid. If this was not the case and he started shooting at you, you should have made a staff ticket and let us handle it.

I hope this helps you.

I appreciate your review, as state I am fairly new to the server but if this is how new players are going to be punished/treated, establishing a regular player base may be difficult. I will not be returning in a week. All the best with the server, hope the lag issues are resolved soon.

• Like 1

I appreciate your review, as state I am fairly new to the server but if this is how new players are going to be punished/treated, establishing a regular player base may be difficult. I will not be returning in a week. All the best with the server, hope the lag issues are resolved soon.

I would like to reply to this and your previous message, although River summed that up pretty well.

Firstly, yes, Helpers can provide weekly bans. All of the staff team has the same guidelines and information. It is a misconception that we have fewer abilities as staff, as the Helper role merely indicates we are new to the staff team on the server.

Secondly, new players are not targeted or punished more harshly. In most cases, if a player is very new to the server, and has a minor to moderate offense, the punishment may be lowered. We love accepting new players into the community, but when a new player is ruining the RP experiences of others, they, unfortunately, have to be punished. In your case, you unjustly killed 5 people which is the basis of MRDM, and you were punished fairly in accordance with the guidelines that all staff members follow.

Lastly, I understand you may not have had bad intentions for the server or other people, I used all the information I had to look over the case and handed out a punishment that is fit for the crime. The ban will end after a week unless removed or shortened by other staff, and you may then return, just make sure to familiarise yourself with the rules to avoid this again.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and would be happy to see you on the server again.

• Like 1