Ranking System (SWRP)

Roberto

CWRP Staff Manager
Management
Jun 15, 2021
New Zealand
www.tomorrowtides.com
Hey everyone,
There are a few of us who believe that the ranking system could do with some minor changes or a complete overhaul.

To begin with, I'm going to talk about the sense of achievement. We have a lot of ranks on the server. This is something we could completely overhaul, or make minor adjustments to, but regardless, we need to be able to be promoted more often. This gives a sense of accomplishment in the Imperial Army and makes us realize how we are doing well. This would also lead to the fact that we can be demoted when we make mistakes. It all leads to more RP rather than everybody being the same rank as everyone else, and no one having priority over another.

ORBITALCOMPANY.pngIn Dorn company, there are fewer ranks to achieve. This means that promotions are even more scarce. We also have a company system that we want to achieve. Currently, the highest-ranking player we have is Rib, at CHIEF. Chief is not even considered an officer!
Here is a small infographic I edited to show how I believe the company should be lead (left).
This would mean that players can start to be promoted more often, having more leadership opportunities, and finally having that sense of accomplishment and achievement.

I also believe that in other companies, promotions should be more frequent. I don't ever recall seeing an Infantryman at a higher rank than PVT. This needs to be changed. When a player joins the server, they are taught the basics, then placed in infantry. There needs to be leadership in these ranks. They need someone to look to immediately, instead of just going off the word of another private. This can lead to RP of CO's recommending players to join different regiments, and suggesting them to the CO's of other regiments.
-PVT CST-1011 1-2 Z.Roberto​

Last edited:

PandaAU

Aug 22, 2021
+1 Strongly agree with the ranking system needing a revamp

Last edited:

RJG

Weird Baby Thing
Trusted
Aug 5, 2021
Yes we need to revamp the Ranking System
+1

Aurora

Trusted
Aug 16, 2021
Although I definitely understand the point that being promoted on most servers gives a great feeling of accomplishment. We've all been there.

However, there are a few problems with this theoretical restructure:
  • Firstly, unlike most servers, promotions and ranks are not just given to everyone when they do well enough for long enough. They are only given to those who need the ranks so they are above others in a linear ranking system. This is called the Military Hierarchy. This is why the only people you see promoted are section commanders, platoon commanders, senior non-commissioned officers, and officers. Not because they did well for long enough to earn a promotion, because there are the leaders of an assigned group. This is why you the members of a section are Privates: They have to be the lowest rank because they don't have power over anyone. If people are promoted because they do well, but they are not in a position of leadership, there is no point in that promotion apart from the satisfaction of it.

• Secondly, all of the management staff still do not understand the point of changing the entire promotion system. If we were to follow your suggestion to the letter, we would be bringing the concept of the server further away from the actual military system we are based on (The Australian Army as almost all of management have a familiarity with it). This, in turn, would make the entire server less unique, and pull us further from the goal and vision that we have for it. Additionally, there are other ways to give rewards to players for good performance. 'big floppa (real)#1993' gave an excellent suggestion for the integration of a medal-based reward system. The great part about this is that systems like this are already in existence (For example, the WiltOS Visual Accolade System, https://support.wiltostech.com/store/integrated-systems). We're still doing thinking about it and working on some concepts, and would love to hear your feedback.

• Thirdly, we very strongly disagree with your set new rank structure you have suggested. I have already stated a good few of my points above, and for the sake of brevity, I will not repeat them. The biggest gripe we have is that it just is not even close to realistic. This is a problem when we are trying to make as much of the server as possible as realistic as possible.

This is just my two cents on the issue, and I am more than happy to discuss it in the discord.

Side note: Currently, the Storm Trooper Corps does not have an officer because we haven't found anyone that we deem fit for that position as of yet. If you believe you have what it takes, contact RadicalRib#8977 on discord.

Side note: You never see any Imperial Infantry being promoted as we do not believe any of them have what it takes to be leaders. We have a couple in there on our minds, but it is our priority to move them into other regiments first. If you want the full reason for this, I am more than happy to reply in a separate response.

Side note: If you know anyone who you think would be good for a promotion/regiment/anything else, just say something. The same goes for you: If you wish to be promoted, ask a higher-up if you can run as a section commander for the next event so we can try you. The same thing works for regiments, if you have an interest, register it with someone so we can take a good look at you.

- Aurora, Aurora#3394
SWRP Server Manager

Roberto

CWRP Staff Manager
Management
Jun 15, 2021
New Zealand
www.tomorrowtides.com
Thanks for the response Aurora,
  • Firstly, I understand how you strive to keep realism and uniqueness in the server, and I think that it is amazing you are going for this. I cannot say I know anything about realist military rankings, and if this is what you are going for, I fully understand that.
  • Secondly, the Visual Accolade System (VAS) looks amazing, and I believe it would be a great addition. This will start to show when people have earned honor and respect, and furthermore help them in applying for higher responsibilities. It will be a sign for newer players to see that says "Hey, that guy has some medals, I should strive to work the way he does, and follow his example." - Which we don't have at the moment, and I think we need to have. A mechanized private of 2-3 weeks should be able to show that they have been a good soldier in comparison to the guy who just got mechanized and looks almost exactly the same.
  • Thirdly, I never expected to see the ranking system I proposed in-game, it was more of an example of how it could be restructured to allow people to be promoted more. However, you have changed my mind on this, and I do believe that the VAS or similar would be a good way to introduce a sense of achievement.
  • Lastly, I didn't realize that you were looking for people to put themselves forward for opportunities in leadership. I was under the assumption that it was more of a thing you would be approached for, and offered, rather than applying.
I also would like to say that I understand that the server is in its early stages, and you guys in management are doing a great job. I'm enjoying the server so much, and many others are too. I'm sure you'll find a great way to work around this, and I'm excited to see what you're going to do.

Reactions: RadicalRib

Aurora

Trusted
Aug 16, 2021
Thanks for the response Aurora,
  • Firstly, I understand how you strive to keep realism and uniqueness in the server, and I think that it is amazing you are going for this. I cannot say I know anything about realist military rankings, and if this is what you are going for, I fully understand that.
  • Secondly, the Visual Accolade System (VAS) looks amazing, and I believe it would be a great addition. This will start to show when people have earned honor and respect, and furthermore help them in applying for higher responsibilities. It will be a sign for newer players to see that says "Hey, that guy has some medals, I should strive to work the way he does, and follow his example." - Which we don't have at the moment, and I think we need to have. A mechanized private of 2-3 weeks should be able to show that they have been a good soldier in comparison to the guy who just got mechanized and looks almost exactly the same.
  • Thirdly, I never expected to see the ranking system I proposed in-game, it was more of an example of how it could be restructured to allow people to be promoted more. However, you have changed my mind on this, and I do believe that the VAS or similar would be a good way to introduce a sense of achievement.
  • Lastly, I didn't realize that you were looking for people to put themselves forward for opportunities in leadership. I was under the assumption that it was more of a thing you would be approached for, and offered, rather than applying.
I also would like to say that I understand that the server is in its early stages, and you guys in management are doing a great job. I'm enjoying the server so much, and many others are too. I'm sure you'll find a great way to work around this, and I'm excited to see what you're going to do.
Thanks for the feedback Roberto,

I'm glad you can understand more where we're coming from, and I'm happy that I've been able to clear some stuff up for you. I will talk to the gentlemen upstairs about the Visual Accolade System when I can.

Thanks.