Proposed Map Changes

Jeremy Coomeracci

Guess what, Jeremy's complaining again!

Well this one's less of a whinge compared to my other posts, but it's still an issue I wanna bring up. Orbital has a really nice map. It's unique to other DarkRP servers (usually just RP_Downtown) so it pains me that so little of the map is witnessed, played around and used. I want to make some suggestions on how we can utilise the map better to hopefully encourage a bit more coverage.

I'll also be careful to ensure none of the map changes counteract my previous suggestion of adding entity raids to existing buildings, though those suggestions may come up throughout the post so feel free to check my previous suggestion for context!

Change #1: Spawn

I want to get this one out of the way quick-smart, because it seems to be the suggestion I cop the most negative attention from. Orbital Servers has this massive mainstreet culture which while I don't want to disturb too much, I genuinely think it's taking away from a large part of the gameplay that is DarkRP. The current room for spawn looks really good, but I think it's just in too convenient a position that allows for constant mainstreet minge with no consequence.

Having the spawn so close to the action also means PD raids are incredibly easy for the defending party as they essentially spawn at their base. It also contributes to the only bases appearing on mainstreet being the warehouse to the right of spawn, the garage building, Whittaker's & Cafe Baltic. These are fine bases and i'm not throwing shade at them, but there are so many good, under-utilised buildings that are being ignored because nobody ventures beyond mainstreet.

I propose that spawn is moved to the Liberty Mall building. I love what the Roots have done with the mall building and it's new interior, however it is ultimately pointless because nobody travels that far. The downtown area where Liberty Mall is located is also very picturesque which I think would be a lot more inviting to new players than where it's currently at.

The new location comes with a variety of advantages.

-Obviously it's a much nicer area to step out to.

-PD actually have to travel a small distance to defend raids (meaning they have to think when defending rather than throwing themselves at the enemy until they inevitably win)

-Mainstreet will still be a prominent hotspot for activity, but players may actually start checking out new areas of the map rather than just what's immediately in front of them.

-Mainstreet gets an extra building to use in place of spawn.

There is also the argument that it could take the place of the Nightclub building, which also addresses many of the issues I list above, however i personally think Downtown is much nicer more inviting area to start off. I also have some plans for the club building coming up!

Change #2: Kappel's

Kappel's is next on my shitlist. While I love the idea of having a cafe-style building right by the fountain, it just isn't properly laid out for a good cafe, and nobody uses it! I mentioned this in my previous suggestion, but I think Kappel's, along with the rest of the bottom half of that massive building, should be replaced with a Hospital.

Orbital Servers seems to have this irrational fear of Hospitals and I don't know why. The server has never had a proper hospital building in all it's time (this has also been a problem across Iconic and Supremacy). It has had small, clinic style buildings that are not in popular areas thus rendering them useless. I would like to see a proper, full scale hospital building in the bottom half of that massive building complex.

-If the change is implemented, the top half would remain the massive gun store.

-The main entrance would be facing the fountain, however if the Spawn change is taken onboard and people are spawning from Liberty Mall then you could have a second entrance accommodating that.

-You could either keep the staircase along the side of the building complex, or have an access-ladder type method of climbing up.

-In reference to the last post, the Hospital would also serve as an entity raid building (stealing illegal drugs)

Change #3: Club Mara Villosa

I love the idea of the Nightclub Building. When it was first added I was so excited to have a dedicated Nightclub Building and spent so much time thinking of ways to build the coolest club inside of it. There's one issue with it though that has stayed the same through every change, it's Just. Too. BIG. It's important to note that Nightclub Entities (your lights, speakers, screens etc.) can only be placed on world surfaces (walls, floors & ceilings of the map). They cannot be placed on or against props, nor can they be Physgun'd into place. I've built many clubs in many buildings, but I just can't get a good club going in Mara Villosa because the walls and ceiling are too high and far apart.

I like the location of the club building, and if my previous post is implemented and a Jewellery store is added in that other base in that area we could easily have a luxury style zone in the map. With this, I would like the interior to be made smaller so Nightclub Manager's are actually reasonably able to build clubs inside (as I said it's too big, we don't have enough entities to be able to fill the whole current building).

Would also like to note that I think the hypothetical New Club Building should still have a safe in the back (or upstairs if one is added) that could potentially serve as another bank style raid. Just gives us more to do yano?

As always comments and discussion are appreciated, so lemme know what you think of these changes. The main one for me is the Spawn change cause I feel we DESPERATELY need it moved or Orbital will always be nothing more than a mainstreet minge server (and ay props to you if you enjoy that cause i really wish I could).

• Like 4

moving spawn is a great idea but maybe somewhere else in the mall area cos i think the mall is a really could building that could be put to use if players actually went around the map and i also think implementing your idea of making each playing pay rent would also solve the spawn issue

I don't necessarily agree with ALL of this, especially the spawn one. A lot of the problems you've proposed are problems no matter the darkrp map it's based from. PD being outside spawn? Not that bad, bases outside PD? I don't see a problem with it, it exists on every darkrp map ever used and I think changing it would be too inconvenient, the raid cooldown exists for a reason and so do the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jeremy Coomeracci

when it comes to the map i believe that some of the propose changes would be beneficial to displaying a very clean spawn and peaceful area for all players to start and various new exciting activities for the server to get involved with.

I for one approve that the spawn should be moved to liberty mall as it is a large area for more players to spawn instead of having players spawn on top of other players however the con to moving spawn to a area that is the liberty mail is prone to many situations to happen that would cause players to complain which would be not beneficial and would sway away many of the player base if such events happens

i approve that that attention should be placed upon bring about new and exciting ideas when it comes to creating a official and proper building for hospitals however I personally agree with what was mention to me with our chat a couple of weeks ago with how it would be cool to see a situation that is similar to the bank heist RP situations in a hospital heist setting which would get more player playing PD more in relation to proving more exciting alternative in preventing a raid on a hospital to always having a bank raid happen every fewer mins and hours.

however with change three i personally would like to see this happen as it would breath more light to the server which would be good for the server life and the staff in total which would be great for us to provide more overwatch to the server and hopefully bring some of the OG's back to potentially admin again.

@Jeremy Coomeracci

when it comes to the map i believe that some of the propose changes would be beneficial to displaying a very clean spawn and peaceful area for all players to start and various new exciting activities for the server to get involved with.

I for one approve that the spawn should be moved to liberty mall as it is a large area for more players to spawn instead of having players spawn on top of other players however the con to moving spawn to a area that is the liberty mail is prone to many situations to happen that would cause players to complain which would be not beneficial and would sway away many of the player base if such events happens

i approve that that attention should be placed upon bring about new and exciting ideas when it comes to creating a official and proper building for hospitals however I personally agree with what was mention to me with our chat a couple of weeks ago with how it would be cool to see a situation that is similar to the bank heist RP situations in a hospital heist setting which would get more player playing PD more in relation to proving more exciting alternative in preventing a raid on a hospital to always having a bank raid happen every fewer mins and hours.

however with change three i personally would like to see this happen as it would breath more light to the server which would be good for the server life and the staff in total which would be great for us to provide more overwatch to the server and hopefully bring some of the OG's back to potentially admin again.

Fuck your approval, means shit and no one cares

@Jeremy Coomeracci

brother shut the fuck up, you word don't mean shit

I don't necessarily agree with ALL of this, especially the spawn one. A lot of the problems you've proposed are problems no matter the darkrp map it's based from. PD being outside spawn? Not that bad, bases outside PD? I don't see a problem with it, it exists on every darkrp map ever used and I think changing it would be too inconvenient, the raid cooldown exists for a reason and so do the rules.

Would have to disagree here. Most DarkRP maps i've played have had a small travel distance between PD & Spawn (RP_Downtown immediately comes to mind from Iconic + most other servers). It's not that I think spawn should be on the polar opposite of the map, however having it two buildings down from spawn is an issue in my opinion.

It doesn't reward good gameplay on the PD side, as it takes not even 10 seconds to sprint back into PD to fight again. Having it moved a bit further away will hopefully make cops have to at least plan their fight a LITTLE bit, rather than just zerg rushing PD which isn't fair to attacking parties (especially when you consider how many doors they need to picklock, they're usually outnumbered, coordinated taser rushes wipe raids, etc.)

I agree it would be an inconvenience to PD, which is exactly why I think it is necessary :)

moving spawn is a great idea but maybe somewhere else in the mall area cos i think the mall is a really could building that could be put to use if players actually went around the map and i also think implementing your idea of making each playing pay rent would also solve the spawn issue

Also wanna say upon further reflection I could agree with this, as theres the fenced off alleyway between mall & hotel. Perhaps this could be redone into a spawn area allowing the mall to continue existence, and keep spawn in a nice looking area.

• Leadership Team

@Jeremy Coomeracci

Already working on some new stuff, will hopefully roll more of these suggestions out as updates along side content, eg; new spawn location, completely new sewers & etc, however this stuff takes time which is why I want to roll them out over time so players have new content to play around with.

• Like 1