PC Part Recommendations

catmealz

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/60654/pccg-quantum-6600-xt-gaming-pc ; I'd look at pre-built PC's. Look for the parts internally and supply them yourself from various sources. Whatever the total cost is (should be less than the cost of the pre-built), and look at upgrating either cpu or gpu.

Was thinking of an amd build with an rtx 3060 so i can play vr games without troubles. ill reply again with whatever i make based on that, thanks anyways!

Say I'm going for a $1500 AUD budget, what parts to you recommend?

List them out using this format.

CPU:

Cooler:

GPU:

Motherboard:

RAM:

Storage:

PSU:

Other:

Ty orbital!!

im noticing everyone is doing pcs these days, and i already have an order list that should be coming next month, so ill see if i can help you here.

I noticed you are playing vr? if so, you will definitely be wanting to lean towards the graphics card side of things, so heres some recommendations for that type of gaming + everything else (:

CPU: I would suggest a ryzen 5 3rd generation cpu for a build like this, potentially a 5600 (what im getting), this will run you around $200 ($250 high end)

Cooler: Just buy 2 external case fans, your cpu and case will already come with a cooler/fans for it + thermal paste, cooler master sells some great fans for around $30 a pop ($60 total)

GPU: Definitely a GTX 1660 Super would be perfect for you, this will run you around $350, and is absolutely PLENTY for a build like this, i find gpus like 3060 could be perhaps bottlenecked with a budget below $3000, so its definitely better to play it safe, and add some wiggleroom.

Motherboard: For an AM4 port (ryzen 5), go for a 550 Generation motherboard, you definitely dont have to spend as much as most people think you do on a motherboard, as its only purpose is to connect the pieces of your pc. Just buy a $200 motherboard for this build, and i would strongly suggest a B550-M, cheap and absolutely perfect for this.

RAM: 16Gb, not even a question, 2x8GB sticks will run around $150-$200, and will absolutely carry you with no issues.

Storage: a 1tb SSD, brand or port doesnt matter for this, its basically a usb-stick in your computer, some good ones will only cost $150.

PSU: Again, you dont need anything extravagant for this, as it wont need to be to high-class to power this build. An $80 power supply will do you just fine, type shouldnt matter.

Other: Get a nice $100-$150 pc case, the most options and adjustability come from mid-tower cases, and there are barely any limitations, so choose what you think looks nice! also, make sure to get ones with front-fans included (dont worry, basically will anyway).

This comes to $1440 on the high-end, so i would recommend mixing around these options as i think a little wiggleroom in the budget is great. with a $1500 budget, try aim for a $1200 build, and add more budget only if necessary, as this can cause you to waste money on unnecessary things.

Or, just buy a pre-built (which imo is a bit boring), but honestly, is probably just as good of an option, if this is your first time dabbling in pc-related stuff, then its much better to give the money to someone that knows what they're doing and buying.

I hope this helps, please contact me for any other Questions!

-Walterburg

im noticing everyone is doing pcs these days, and i already have an order list that should be coming next month, so ill see if i can help you here.

I noticed you are playing vr? if so, you will definitely be wanting to lean towards the graphics card side of things, so heres some recommendations for that type of gaming + everything else :)

CPU: I would suggest a ryzen 5 3rd generation cpu for a build like this, potentially a 5600 (what im getting), this will run you around $200 ($250 high end)

Cooler: Just buy 2 external case fans, your cpu and case will already come with a cooler/fans for it + thermal paste, cooler master sells some great fans for around $30 a pop ($60 total)

GPU: Definitely a GTX 1660 Super would be perfect for you, this will run you around $350, and is absolutely PLENTY for a build like this, i find gpus like 3060 could be perhaps bottlenecked with a budget below $3000, so its definitely better to play it safe, and add some wiggleroom.

Motherboard: For an AM4 port (ryzen 5), go for a 550 Generation motherboard, you definitely dont have to spend as much as most people think you do on a motherboard, as its only purpose is to connect the pieces of your pc. Just buy a $200 motherboard for this build, and i would strongly suggest a B550-M, cheap and absolutely perfect for this.

RAM: 16Gb, not even a question, 2x8GB sticks will run around $150-$200, and will absolutely carry you with no issues.

Storage: a 1tb SSD, brand or port doesnt matter for this, its basically a usb-stick in your computer, some good ones will only cost $150.

PSU: Again, you dont need anything extravagant for this, as it wont need to be to high-class to power this build. An $80 power supply will do you just fine, type shouldnt matter.

Other: Get a nice $100-$150 pc case, the most options and adjustability come from mid-tower cases, and there are barely any limitations, so choose what you think looks nice! also, make sure to get ones with front-fans included (dont worry, basically will anyway).

This comes to $1440 on the high-end, so i would recommend mixing around these options as i think a little wiggleroom in the budget is great. with a $1500 budget, try aim for a $1200 build, and add more budget only if necessary, as this can cause you to waste money on unnecessary things.

Or, just buy a pre-built (which imo is a bit boring), but honestly, is probably just as good of an option, if this is your first time dabbling in pc-related stuff, then its much better to give the money to someone that knows what they're doing and buying.

-Walterburg

Just as a heads up for this, a lot of CPUs (not all) come with thermal paste and a fan, so just make sure you find out if the one you're getting has one otherwise you won't be starting up your PC...

For PSU, steer clear of Gigabyte (personal experience). Corsair and CoolerMaster are pretty good, but generally, for a $1500 budget, I'd suggest 700W+.

Just as a heads up for this, a lot of CPUs (not all) come with thermal paste and a fan, so just make sure you find out if the one you're getting has one otherwise you won't be starting up your PC...

For PSU, steer clear of Gigabyte (personal experience). Corsair and CoolerMaster are pretty good, but generally, for a $1500 budget, I'd suggest 700W+.

i heard seasonic is good for psu's?

i heard seasonic is good for psu's?

I'm not too sure myself, maybe look at some reviews for them as they would help a lot when deciding.

I've built a total of 6 PCs in my life and always used either Corsair or CoolerMaster so I can safely say they're pretty good.

I tried a Gigabyte PSU once and it immediately had coil whine issues, then found out they have a habit of exploding.

Never again...

I noticed you are playing vr? if so, you will definitely be wanting to lean towards the graphics card side of things, so heres some recommendations for that type of gaming + everything else :)

-Walterburg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6 Core AM4 4.20GHz CPU Processor

Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 CPU Cooler

GPU: Asus GeForce Dual RTX 3060 12G V2 Graphics Card

Motherboard: Asus Prime B550M-A AM4 mATX Motherboard

RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMH16GX4M2D3600C18 Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3 (RGB because my case comes stock with 3 rgb fans and i dont want it to look silly)

Storage: Crucial P2 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, Silicon Power 2TB P34A60 Gen3x4

PSU: Cooler Master 650W MWE V2 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply

Case: Thermaltake View 200 TG ARGB Mid Tower ATX Case (not added to price bc I already have it)

This is what I have so far, total comes out to $1,442 (this is gonna change due to sales)

Here's my suggestion:

CPU: Intel vs AMD. Intel nowadays seems to be more aimed at productivity performance, however, they are still incredible when it comes to gaming. The value of AMD CPU's are amazing though. Considering how cheap you can get some high-end AMD CPU's nowadays, might be worth looking into AMD when you're on a budget.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 8 cores, 3.8GHz base clock with boost to 4.7GHz. This is great for the money. Doesn't come with a CPU cooler or integrated graphics, but it's base clock is powerful and still has enough cores for everything to run smoothly.

$335

CPU Cooler: The above CPU doesn't come with a cooler, so you'll need one. You can get them for fairly cheap but you'll still want something that cools well.

Scythe Ninja 5 43.03 - runs between 300-800 RPM and has a low noise level of 4dB, meaning you won't hear the thing unless it's running on max power.

$114

Motherboard: You don't need anything crazy for this, however, make sure the size you're getting will fit your case, make sure you have M.2 slots if you're getting an M.2 SSD, make sure the CPU is supported for the motherboard etc. etc. etc.

Also figure out whether you'll be plugging in via ethernet or connecting wirelessly, because getting a MB with a wireless card inbuilt is handy in keeping costs down.

Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS WIFI II - ATX form MB, very reliable, have used these in the past and can say they are packed with all sorts of features. With 2x M.2 slots, 2x PCIe slots, 128GB of RAM available and plenty of heatsinks to keep everything cool, this is something you can hold onto if you want to upgrade down the track.

$254

RAM: As Walterburg said, 16GB is probably enough nowadays, however, I wouldn't be surprised if 32GB becomes the norm in 2-3 years time. For now on a budget, you'd want something with decent speeds and running 16GB is fine.

PNY XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 - DDR4-3200MHz - Eventually you might want to get DDR5 sticks when they are cheaper, but I've never had any issues and I still run DDR4-3600MHz in a $3k build. Just turn on your XMP profile in BIOS when you set it up so you get the most out of the RAM.

$88

Storage: Completely up to you, but you might wanna run windows on your SSD. I'd also suggest a M.2 NVMe since they're fairly cheap nowadays and you can always get a second HDD or SATA SSD down the track for games.

Samsung 980 1TB M.2-2280 - Samsung has always been reliable, sometimes costly, but it's worth the money. You'll get great performance from a 980 and as I said, you can always upgrade or get another drive down the track.

$139

GPU: With a lower-end budget, you probably aren't worried about ray-tracing. If you're using a 1080p monitor, there are some really good GPUs out there that are amazing price for performance.

ASRock Challenger D OC Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB - If you run this on 1080p, this is said to be easily better than a RTX 2060. The price for performance for this is amazing. This is definitely a pretty good buy to compliment your PC.

$335

PSU: As I said, you wanna be careful in what you get when it comes to a PSU. You want at least an 80+ Gold nowadays, but you also might want to look in the future. I always like to get something where I have a little leeway for upgrading and having something that can support these upgrades might be beneficial down the track.

NZXT C (2019) 650W 80+ Gold, Fully Modular ATX - I used this PSU in my brothers PC and so far it's been good. Haven't had issues yet, and quality wise, it feels pretty good. This also gives you a bit of leeway if you want to upgrade in the future.

$139

Case: This is very much a personal preference, however, for this build, you would need an ATX case. I'd suggest something with decent calling preinstalled so you don't have to worry about the additional cost of fans. I've left $96 for a case, but you might need more. You could always try for a little cheaper RAM or Storage, but I wouldn't go too cheap.

All-in-all, this is my suggestion for a build, prices for PC parts still seem fairly expensive so it might be hard sticking to a low budget like this, but I believe what I have provided is the best that money can buy right now. Also as a quick tip, look for sales on parts as you could easily get a $2k PC for $1500 if you have the patience and research enough.

Here's my suggestion:

CPU: Intel vs AMD. Intel nowadays seems to be more aimed at productivity performance, however, they are still incredible when it comes to gaming. The value of AMD CPU's are amazing though. Considering how cheap you can get some high-end AMD CPU's nowadays, might be worth looking into AMD when you're on a budget.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 8 cores, 3.8GHz base clock with boost to 4.7GHz. This is great for the money. Doesn't come with a CPU cooler or integrated graphics, but it's base clock is powerful and still has enough cores for everything to run smoothly.

$335

CPU Cooler: The above CPU doesn't come with a cooler, so you'll need one. You can get them for fairly cheap but you'll still want something that cools well.

Scythe Ninja 5 43.03 - runs between 300-800 RPM and has a low noise level of 4dB, meaning you won't hear the thing unless it's running on max power.

$114

Motherboard: You don't need anything crazy for this, however, make sure the size you're getting will fit your case, make sure you have M.2 slots if you're getting an M.2 SSD, make sure the CPU is supported for the motherboard etc. etc. etc.

Also figure out whether you'll be plugging in via ethernet or connecting wirelessly, because getting a MB with a wireless card inbuilt is handy in keeping costs down.

Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS WIFI II - ATX form MB, very reliable, have used these in the past and can say they are packed with all sorts of features. With 2x M.2 slots, 2x PCIe slots, 128GB of RAM available and plenty of heatsinks to keep everything cool, this is something you can hold onto if you want to upgrade down the track.

$254

RAM: As Walterburg said, 16GB is probably enough nowadays, however, I wouldn't be surprised if 32GB becomes the norm in 2-3 years time. For now on a budget, you'd want something with decent speeds and running 16GB is fine.

PNY XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 - DDR4-3200MHz - Eventually you might want to get DDR5 sticks when they are cheaper, but I've never had any issues and I still run DDR4-3600MHz in a $3k build. Just turn on your XMP profile in BIOS when you set it up so you get the most out of the RAM.

$88

Storage: Completely up to you, but you might wanna run windows on your SSD. I'd also suggest a M.2 NVMe since they're fairly cheap nowadays and you can always get a second HDD or SATA SSD down the track for games.

Samsung 980 1TB M.2-2280 - Samsung has always been reliable, sometimes costly, but it's worth the money. You'll get great performance from a 980 and as I said, you can always upgrade or get another drive down the track.

$139

GPU: With a lower-end budget, you probably aren't worried about ray-tracing. If you're using a 1080p monitor, there are some really good GPUs out there that are amazing price for performance.

ASRock Challenger D OC Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB - If you run this on 1080p, this is said to be easily better than a RTX 2060. The price for performance for this is amazing. This is definitely a pretty good buy to compliment your PC.

$335

PSU: As I said, you wanna be careful in what you get when it comes to a PSU. You want at least an 80+ Gold nowadays, but you also might want to look in the future. I always like to get something where I have a little leeway for upgrading and having something that can support these upgrades might be beneficial down the track.

NZXT C (2019) 650W 80+ Gold, Fully Modular ATX - I used this PSU in my brothers PC and so far it's been good. Haven't had issues yet, and quality wise, it feels pretty good. This also gives you a bit of leeway if you want to upgrade in the future.

$139

Case: This is very much a personal preference, however, for this build, you would need an ATX case. I'd suggest something with decent calling preinstalled so you don't have to worry about the additional cost of fans. I've left $96 for a case, but you might need more. You could always try for a little cheaper RAM or Storage, but I wouldn't go too cheap.

All-in-all, this is my suggestion for a build, prices for PC parts still seem fairly expensive so it might be hard sticking to a low budget like this, but I believe what I have provided is the best that money can buy right now. Also as a quick tip, look for sales on parts as you could easily get a $2k PC for $1500 if you have the patience and research enough.

if any of the parts im gonna get turn out to be causing issues, ill definitely go to this post for ideas