Mayor Mod - Adding strategy & roleplay to the server.

Renett Marchiori

What category does this suggestion apply to? (Map, Addons, Discord, Forums, Other): Other

Details/Information about your suggestion: Mayor is a great role, Which can heavily impact how people play on the server depending on what laws are set and how they wish to play it out. Although the mayor role has many things it can change from a players perspective, from a mayors perspective the role can be pretty dull & boring after you get your way (if you get your way and dont die). I feel this add on can make great impact on the way mayors can impact the server in a more positive way then your typical tyrant who makes everything illegal and then dies after half hour or so. Giving the mayor the ability to affect taxes, give clear indication on who is wanted through a screen placed at the PD (Which could open up to a new bounty hunter role for additional role play? Pretty much a kidnapper working with the government?) a new target for thieves if they wanted to crash the cities economy (could possibly replace the bank with city funds?) and also has a new law board. It also gives a nice PC operation for the mayor to control all aspects of his new dictatorship or democracy depending on how they want to play the game. Most of this mod already incorporates whats already implemented in the server (Laws, wanted, warrants, lock downs,gun licenses etc.) however with a much nicer and user friendly layout. The additions it would bring would be personalised income tax control, police funding, city funds & law boards & wanted boards.

How do you think this will benefit the server?: This could give the mayor role new opportunities to do something more positive with the server opening up many new avenues on how the game can be played. It also opens new conversations on additional roles down the track (Like the bounty hunter) should this add on be successful. You can have a corrupt mayor who siphons money from the system to fund his own habbits, causing outrage and massive hits on the mayor... Or he could be an economist who can invest money into the city to create a better police force, better wages, large lotto giveaways? etc. Given that there are only 2-3 additions to this mod and a much nicer UI layout I feel it would be an amazing addition to the server and make a lot more people want to play the mayor role and make it much more competitive as well.

Links: https://www.gmodstore.com/market/view/slawer-mayor-an-advanced-mayor-system

(This had already received negative results from discord however I received permission from Pedro to open this mod up for discussion)

I checked out the and although I think its really cool, there are 2 aspects I think could be abused

The ability for the mayor to fire policemen is going to be abused, you could argue otherwise but its going to happen no matter what.

regarding the tax, I feel people would get more pissed off about it rather than support it, but if the bonus' are worth it, they're opinions may change.

Regarding a major argument when this was presented in the discord, many mayors don't last long enough for this to be useful. many mayors find themselves only lasting a few minutes, as with the current system its boring as shit. You have to sit in PD and wait for the lottery every 3-4 minutes. Other than that any time you try to RP you get killed by a hitman. I think that if mayors had more of a reason to remain safe, (through the mod), you would see that mayor's lifetimes would increase.

Other than that I think this would be sick. +1

• Like 1

100 % agree with you gretta. I can see aspects of this being abused but there can always be deterrents (Yin must have yang afterall) . Its been a while since Ive played with lua mods but Im pretty confident most of these mods would come with config files that can adjust these settings to prevent cops from randomly being fired. Even if this feature cannot be disabled, it could also open up new rp opportunities for officers caught being corrupt (leaving PD open, taking bribes (with proof in pd discord),Failure to uphold the law etc) and like all things that can be abused, the mayors rules for the server could be expanded on preventing this and players caught abusing this would face the consequences. I agree, part of taxes being cut would piss people off enough to kill the mayor, but if the town was in surplus a bonus could shift that (if people comply with the laws, offer a bonus) and as you mentioned, it gives the mayor a reason to stay in his office because its more enjoyable. Most get bored pretty easy so run out of their office and die after they've pissed people off.

I have to admit, this addon does look great. The role of mayor right now seems bland and boring, and I certainly think it does need more purpose - but, I'm not sure if this is the way to do it. Alot of the aspects of this addon would definitely be abused. My objections would be:

1. Demoting police. Mayors definitely should not have control over this. Many officers would either get demoted randomly, or the mayor would demote over silly reasons (I've had mayors threaten to demote any officer who "don't get their covid 19 vaccine in-game", hell, it was just yesterday I had a mayor threaten me personally with demotion (a power they don't even have) because I didn't arrest a hitman walking around in PD - who was a disguised detective...) Most mayors just don't have knowledge on what is and what isn't a valid demotion.

2. Issuing/withdrawing warrants/wants. Again, irresponsible mayors would either issue random warrants/wants, or withdraw valid warrants/wants set by ready to raid/arrest police because "they're my friend, you can't raid/arrest them" or some other petty excuse.

3. Funds. In the video it shows funds are issued towards giving police better equipment, reinforcing armor or increasing salaries. I'm not sure what better equipment police could receive? Perhaps police spawn with kevlar instead of having to buy it?

4. Taxes. Again, abuse. Mayor could tax specific roles or just set really high taxes. I understand that the taxes would go towards the city funds and is supposed to "better the city" but, city funds just go to the police equipment/salary? So, everyone who gets taxed would basically just be buying armor/giving money (through higher salaries) to the police? Players would object so much to this.

I do like the idea of a law board, and having a wanted screen so people can see who is wanted (this would allow citizens to report the sighting of a wanted person). But, even if my objections above were to be blocked/inaccessible to the mayor to avoid abuse, almost half of the addon has been stripped away. It's easy to plus one this suggestion just for that extra law board and wanted screen, but I'm not the one who would be paying irl money for it - its the owners of the server. If I were paying for it, the money just isn't worth it.

Sorry Renett, I really do like the idea of this addon, it does look like such a fun and great addon that would add more purpose to mayor and more things to roleplay - but, I just don't think players can be trusted enough to use this addon responsibly/still follow server rules. -1.

TLTR: Too many features would be abused by irresponsible mayors. Even blocking certain features from being accessible by mayors would take away half the purpose of this addon - its just not worth it.

First Of All, Love the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for when I saw people werent a fan of it on discord so thanks for being descriptive of your concerns

1. Demoting police. Mayors definitely should not have control over this. Many officers would either get demoted randomly, or the mayor would demote over silly reasons (I've had mayors threaten to demote any officer who "don't get their covid 19 vaccine in-game", hell, it was just yesterday I had a mayor threaten me personally with demotion (a power they don't even have) because I didn't arrest a hitman walking around in PD - who was a disguised detective...) Most mayors just don't have knowledge on what is and what isn't a valid demotion.

Correct, This could be abused in the wrong hands, however the server has the ability to demote rule breakers who breach roleplay and remove those who abuse mayoral role. They didnt lose rank, they just lose position of police (Which could be used to mayors advantage to incentivise police who fail to properly enforce the mayors rulings.) Again this is open to interpretation but I believe their are more roleplay opportunities then negatives in this ability to demote officers, again it should be easily removeable.

2. Issuing/withdrawing warrants/wants. Again, irresponsible mayors would either issue random warrants/wants, or withdraw valid warrants/wants set by ready to raid/arrest police because "they're my friend, you can't raid/arrest them" or some other petty excuse.

To my knowledge mayor can already do this, Its just a nicer layout to use then the F4 menu.

3. Funds. In the video it shows funds are issued towards giving police better equipment, reinforcing armor or increasing salaries. I'm not sure what better equipment police could receive? Perhaps police spawn with kevlar instead of having to buy it?

Arming police with better armour could be a great way to increase suitability especially when the mayor is not the most popular player and requires that extra bit of security. Im sure this could be customisation as well to arm police with things like riot shields and other crowd control entities if the populace requires supression.

4. Taxes. Again, abuse. Mayor could tax specific roles or just set really high taxes. I understand that the taxes would go towards the city funds and is supposed to "better the city" but, city funds just go to the police equipment/salary? So, everyone who gets taxed would basically just be buying armor/giving money (through higher salaries) to the police? Players would object so much to this.

To me this is the whole idea. This is no different to someone making everything illegal. If people dont like him, they raise the value of the hit to remove him giving more of an initiative for hitmen and assassins to remove him from power. The funds taken are not just gone forever, they can be regained through thieves, mayor siphoning funds or mayoral give aways to Honorable citizens. This again adds a lot more opportunity to the role and how you want to play it. This can also bolster police numbers if the mayor needs more protection by slamming other roles with taxes and boosting police salaries.

Again, really appreciate the feedback and hopefully this debate can really open up peoples opinions on the mod and compare the pros to the cons.