Make killing in self-defense legal

Ryan Moon

As the in game laws currently stand, if a hitman begins shooting someone in the street, and the victim responds by pulling their own legal 1h pistol and successfully defends themselves by killing the hitman, they may now be /wanted for murder by any police that witnessed the event. If you defend your home in a raid (again with legal weapons), and kill the raider that is currently shooting at you, does the same occur? It could even be argued that bankers may not lethally defend the bank from a raid, despite it being a circumstance where they are directly aligned with government.

Consider this: 1h weapons are legal, 1h open carry might or might not be legal, but using your legal weapons to defend yourself will either lead to your death, if you fail, or your arrest if you succeed (and are witnessed by police). Why then are weapons legal at all? What other purpose does making a weapon legal serve?

If you shoot at your assailant but do not kill them, and flee? Are you then /wanted for shooting in public? Are we meant to just try and scare them off by pulling out a gun, and doing nothing with it? Using this logic, one should only ever use /000 when they are raided if they do not at all plan on engaging the raiders themselves, lest the police be the next assailants.

I feel that this is an oversight that - to a certain degree - takes something away from the RP rather than benefiting it.

I've included a link to a clip that shows the first example mentioned in this post. Though the recording lacks my own mic input, there is enough context to understand the events.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9edhvzbv7j39s2/Defence%20example.mp4?dl=0

hello ryan,

ive seen a few people ask about it, and the general response is "you killed someone still, even if they attack you, you still killed someone", changing the laws to allow self defense breaks the very first "always" law, which is "murder and assault is illegal". it would also make arresting someone for murder a bigger ordeal as you would need to be sure it was self defense, which without access to logs, would be hard to prove quickly.

all in all, its an interesting idea but i dont think we could implement it without a massive amount of work. Have an awesome day my guy.

Mythic Gears

-1 The self defence being illegal is accurate to real Australian laws, It could be easily abused if made legal, would cause immense confusion between cops and criminals alike and in general is basically making murder legal. Self defence isn't legal because pd and swat can do it for you.

And more complex encounters than 'we don't know who shot first?' as a reason for not doing so? What of defending the bank as guard or banker, with police assisting? Both sides trading fire, still legal for guard and banker. Bank is successfully defended, but oh no! A guard managed to kill a raider in the defence. Guess he gets to go to jail now, a cop saw him do it!

And more complex encounters than 'we don't know who shot first?' as a reason for not doing so? What of defending the bank as guard or banker, with police assisting? Both sides trading fire, still legal for guard and banker. Bank is successfully defended, but oh no! A guard managed to kill a raider in the defence. Guess he gets to go to jail now, a cop saw him do it!

Cop is diffrent cause they have authority to do that if they do it excessively RDM but still if a civ kills someone we arrest them

That is the point I'm making. As it stands, that would be the correct response. The purpose of this thread is to posit that a change should be made to account for self defence (where it can be clearly seen to be self-defence), or lethal defence of a base after being fired upon.

That is the point I'm making. As it stands, that would be the correct response. The purpose of this thread is to posit that a change should be made to account for self defence (where it can be clearly seen to be self-defence), or lethal defence of a base after being fired upon.

As you can see, this thread has already been answered before, look at what Tuppy has linked and see what people have said there. AS of now, there still will not be any change to the rule or law stating self defence is legal as it is still murder, just like in real life.