Hostage Fund for PD

Mike Untsore

What category does this suggestion apply to? (Discord, Forums, Other): Server

Details/Information about your suggestion:

I believe all PD members can agree hostage situations are extremely tedious RP situation. On peak time we can have countless hostage situations occurring within a short time frame, resulting on majority of our RP time spent dealing with these in a professional manner. Although these situations can be some of the most fun, they also come with a massive drawback, and to that I wish to suggest a 'fix' in a sense for this.

The biggest issue I see with hostage situations are the ransom fee in which PD members are required to pay upfront for the safe release of a hostage. If negotiations fail/ aren't nearly as successful as previous, it's an immediate 15-20k loss for the PD members, who don't earn nearly enough to cover the cost. It's an absolutely massive outlier and drawback when it comes to more senior ranks in the PD, as they are expected to find the money from other officers, or are faced with the hefty price upfront. Taking into consideration that there very well may be 10+ hostages within a few hour time-span (given there are several kidnappers online), there stands no chance for 'saving' money, and results in a net loss, making PD completely unappealing, especially to more experienced players, who are in the mindset of keeping their earnt cash.

For this, I recommend a 'Govenment Emergency Fund' that can be drawn ONLY for hostage situations, perhaps used from the 'tax' element in which some players receive after getting their paycheck. This would potentially only be used by higher up PD members, as for the feature not to be exploited.

Even if the money was sourced somehow similar to the bank (On a cooldown), there definitely was the need to bring this issue up, as I can tell it annoys a lot of PD members, going backwards financially on the server for doing good work, almost going as far as a punishment for meeting the demands of a kidnapper.

I can fully understand the drawbacks to this, the potential for it to be exploited, however I believe with a little bit of brainstorming, this can be worked out so that this can be implemented smoothly, and for everyone's benefit. I understand some may believe that this could ruin negotiations, however negotiations are some of the most rewarding RP situations you can do (Call it bartering behind a computer screen ;) ), and for that I don't believe the PD would take the negotiations any less seriously, and if so, be more willing to participate.

How do you think this will benefit the community?:

Overall, there's usually a negative reaction within the PD when it comes to hostage situations, as it's a massive outlay for the PD to pay for the ransom of the victim. Nothing good comes from having an eyeroll reaction when another kidnapper demands 20k for a hostages release ect. Doing this would ensure that all PD members can actively participate in hostage situations without having to bear the burden of the cost which is involved in this RP situation. I can almost guarantee senior members have lost 100's of thousands of dollars to these issues, and is why with the support of a couple of PD members I decided to put this forward.

TL;DR Hostages are expensive, and it's a total out of pocket expense for the PD, just after a potential way to mitigate the total cost to PD members.

Looking forward to feedback! Cheers

• Like 3

+1 this would be good to see because i have had this problem and i have lost a lot of money because of this and no one want's to lose money wen they work so hard for it and i mean 15K-20K is a bit to much, but that's my say. PD to get more money is a good idea so they can deal with situations like this more and don't need to worry about it.
  • Like 1

+1 Yes, i highly agree with this. Hostage situations are not ideal and do really take a lot of valued time that could be directed in other fields that may require our attention at the time but due to priorities we are forced to deal with the highest priority at the time.

I do really agree with the ideal message of this post, if something along the lines of this post can be implemented that will assist with not only PD as a units gameplay but the players themselves by helping them not lose so much money.

• Like 2

Major +1

I think you'll all find that alot of PD members (I may or may not be included in doing this <span>👀:cool:) just don't respond to and completely ignore hostage scenarios because of this specific reason - no one wants to fork out 20k (or just any sum of money) for the sake of 5 minutes of 'mediocre' roleplay.

I agree that the hostage/negotiation scenario needs due attention/change.

• Like 1

Massive +1

Due to me being kidnapper before and kidnapping multiple officers the money has to always come out of the police officers personal accounts and that should not be how it's done because they lose motivation to responding to hostage situations because the lack of money and who the fuck wants to spend $20k out of there own pocket to release someone

• Like 1

+1 Easy easy +1 right here, Make it so only Commissioners and Commanders/Majors can access it and even rather that having it as an instant 20k boom get the hostage safe, make it a 10 minute cooldown ( a single kidnapper has to wait 15 mins between each of their kidnapping and sometimes 2 kidnappers work together ) and maybe have it so the most that can be taken out is 10k, so that leaves room for negotiating where we can offer half while only ever having to pay out of pocket whatever amount we can lower it to. with it at the very least halving the loss Officers have to make for the hostages freedom.

Huge +1

i can see this being super useful and seriously improving RP situations when it come to hostages soley because pd seem less inclined to RP when they have to pay for it constantly, and some days there can be 15-20 plus kidnappings that builds up quick and turns officers away from even going to the hostage calls

• 4 weeks later...